inclusion for all

inclusion for all

Sunday, January 3, 2016

The climax of the semester

This is where I was at on December 13th, 2015

There was a negative, climactic moment in our son's experience at his school,
a moment that eventually led us to the decision to homeschool our son for now.

This is one of my many written reactions to what occurred on the day of December 11th, 2015.

"I am very upset right now at my son's school. My son is in second grade at an elementary school in White County, GA. He has high functioning autism and has always been in a regular ed environment with resource segments throughout the day. He was successful in Kindergarten and 1st grade, but this year has been tough for him. He has had a very negative experience at school this year, and on Friday in an IEP meeting I was told by the special ed director at the county that at this point and time, the only suggestion they have to offer my son is after school instruction or in home care. They do not feel that they can meet his needs at school. He would be allowed to show up after school and receive private instruction by the special ed teacher alone. He would not have an opportunity to be around his peers. I said absolutely not, that the entire reason I have him in school is to develop relationships and receive social interaction. I advocated that he have a para pro, and he received one about a month ago. They encouraged a half day schedule, so we went to that two weeks ago, and now they are telling me that they don't want him there at all during the day now. They are violating my son's rights with this proposal. He has the right to a free appropriate public education, he has the right to be in the least restrictive environment, and he has the right to interact with his peers."

No comments:

Post a Comment